Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Reassurance project

I need my readers to judge this idea for me:

1. I want to create a blog that lists out the names of the dead in terrorist attacks on civilians. This idea was inspired by yesterday's carnage in Iraq when 135 people died and were reported whole, as that meaningless number. Each of these 135 people led real lives and left behind greiving relatives. Worse, a large number of expatriates have no clue if their uncle/aunty/cousin/friend/boyf/girlf/ex-boyf/ex-girlf/acquaintance/neighbour died. In all but family cases, this news will not filter back to them through the expat grapevine. My project will put these names at the end of two clicks "Edit-Find-Type-Search".

2. This project has to be in blog format for people to upload the names of the dead they know about. Further, once the project gains traction, it can enlist volunteers in each conflict to visit mortuaries and get the lists. Lastly, when the project is worthy of commercial attention, big news organisations can link and contribute to the project.

If it sounds like I am excited about this project, well yes, I am. I feel very strongly to putting a name to the numbers of people who are dying in senseless conflict all over the world.

Please let me know what you think of this idea, if you have to comment on only one post on my blog, please comment on this one.

No comments: